During a long time, Argilly was the center of one of largest and richest bungundian lordship. Argilly take its origin in gallo-roma period : there was the largest house in the region (240 m * 130 m) along the large roman way Beaune-Dijon. Commercial stop where a miracle took place in 858, it kept the tradition to the point of tempting the attention of Dukes of Burgundy.
These hunting house became, in XIIth century as castle with 14 towers, administrative headquarter for all the region (among Nuits). François 1st took an edict there in 1547. Demolished in march 1590, it has never been rebuilt.
In tileries of Argilly were made enamelled coblestones used in Cîteaux, Gilly, Commarin and Chateauneuf.