The name of Comblanchien can come from « la Combe aux chiens » (dogs’ valley ), hunting place of Dukes of Burgundy. But the more believable origin dates from 874 : Curtis Bunciana, the name of a merovingian women.
Since 1850, the stone of Comblanchien is exploited. This french Carrare is white whith shades of pink, beige, pinked-grey, is often used instead of marble.
The village is also knew for the vineyard activity.
The village has been distinguished for Resistance during the Second World War. In the night of 21st to 22nd August 1944, Comblanchien became a martyred village : the church and 52 houses has been burnt and 8 inhabitants has been took hostages and shooted. Two others members of Resistance has been killed in the the cave of Maquis in Arcenant.