Français  English  Deutsch  Español

Region of Nuits-Saint-Georges Tourist Office
The Nuits-Saint-Georges App on Android Market Nuits-Saint-Georges on App Store

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


The name of « Gilly » comes from the celtic  « Gwilqui » which signifies horse, pasture, plain and « Ly » , water, river. So Gil-Ly, Gilly, designated fertile land, with lush grass where herds could graze beside the river. Indeed, many farms are located there since several centuries and developed agriculture and breeding. The cheese of Gilly carries on the tradition of local products.
The place of Gilly was in the past a property of the Abbey of Saint Germain des Prés in Paris, and the village has been given to the monks of Citeaux in 1299. The castle of Gilly was the residence of abbots : the domain included the church for inhabitants of the village and of Vougeot.

Château de Gilly - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Château de Gilly - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
During the VIth century, the immense territory of Gilly, crossed by the Roman road which linked Chalon-sur-Saône to Langres, belonged to Eleu...

Château de Gilly - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


Eglise Saint Germain - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Eglise Saint Germain - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
The large church of Saint Germain belonged also to the neighbouring villages of Vougeot and Saint Bernard. It is named after Germain, bishop of Par...

Eglise Saint Germain - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


Grange de Saulx - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Grange de Saulx - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Built in the XIIIth century by the De Saulx family, then property of Cistercians in XVth century, it is sold as national treasure in 1789. Deux hun...

Grange de Saulx - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


La chambre des jours - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
La chambre des jours - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
The pavillion on the south-west  angle away from the father abbots dwelling was the courtroom of the Gilly tribunal. Above was to be found the...

La chambre des jours - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


La Vouge - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
La Vouge - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
From the celtic « Voug, wog, Vog » : a source, river coming out of a hill or rock. The Vouge which crosses the châ...

La Vouge - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


Lavoirs - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Lavoirs - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Lavoirs - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


Pavillon à la tourelle (ancien relais de la Poste) - Gilly-llès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Pavillon à la tourelle (ancien relais de la Poste) - Gilly-llès-Cîteaux
Originally destined to house the officers of the Château, then the postmasters, i twas built by the Cistercians at the end of the XVIth ...

Pavillon à la tourelle (ancien relais de la Poste) - Gilly-llès-Cîteaux


Pont Chevalier - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Pont Chevalier - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Constructed on the Vouge in 1679 and restored in 1770 by the state of Burgundy, it linked Gilly-les-Cîteaux and Flagey-Echezeaux.

Pont Chevalier - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


Presbytère - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Presbytère - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Built in 1825, the presbytery owns, as the church, to the villages of Gilly-les-Cîteaux, Vougeot and Saint Bernard.  

Presbytère - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux


By mail
Gilly-lès-Cîteaux
Mairie
2, avenue du Recteur Marcel Bouchard
21700 - Gilly-lès-Cîteaux

By phone
Phone: +33 (0)3 80 62 87 79
Fax: +33 (0)3 80 62 80 73

By web
E-mail: mairie.gillylesciteaux@wanadoo.fr
Website: www.gillylesciteaux.fr

Back to results

Pictures

Gilly-lès-Cîteaux Gilly-lès-Cîteaux Gilly-lès-Cîteaux Gilly-lès-Cîteaux Gilly-lès-Cîteaux Gilly-lès-Cîteaux Gilly-lès-Cîteaux Gilly-lès-Cîteaux