The first house of the village has been built at about the year 1100.The name of Saint-Bernard is linked with the history of the Abbey of Cîteaux and the setting up there of Bernard de Fontaine, founder and first abbot of Clairvaux.
The village has grow up at the beginning of 17th century because of the arrival of families from Alsace and Lorraine, brought by monks of Cîteaux. On 31st October 1608, the Abbey of Cîteaux, owner of the land, decided to create the village of Saint Bernard les Cîteaux in tribute to Bernard de Clairvaux (Abbot of Cîteaux), along the former roman way on the line North/south, what explains the situation as « village-street ». Houses are typical : the barn is placed side by side to the house, unlike traditional houses of the region. Each inhabitant has a plot of land he had to cultivate. The harvest went to the barns of Monks of Cîteux, as this one of Bretigny, located in the village of Saint-Bernard.
After the French Revolution, the village is called Bretigny le Rue. It is only in 1803 that the village took again its original name.