On 31st October 1608, the village of Saint Nicolas was founded by Nicolas II Boucherat, Abbot of Cîteaux. 36 mens coming from Lorraine received 34 ha of wooden land, and everybody promised to weed it and make it farmable. At the French Revolution, the religious life is cancelled, the village became a town including lands, pounds and forests. The abbey became a castle, a phalanstery and a penal colony. It is only in 1898, with the come back of monks that the abbay, founded in 1098, is reborn.
Saint Nicolas, last village created in Côte d’Or with Saint Bernard includes the village, but also hamlets (Cîteaux and La Forgeotte) and 5 farms : Saules, La Loge, La Borde, les Fermes Neuves (former abbay’s barns). The town spreads on a giant territory : 3000 ha of which 1200 ha of forest belonging to the State, 1000 ha of land and pounds, 59 ha of forest belonging to the village. On the dozen of pounds, 6 are still in water. Three rivers crosses the village : the Vouge, The Raie du Pont and the Coindon. The Cent-Fons canal digged in the XIIIth century by the monks is an hydraulic masterpiece. Among old building dating from the long history of Saint-Nicolas-les-Cîteaux : the old library of the Abbey, the Saules Barn, the Forgeotte, and old houses made of branches and soil in the village.
The village take a benefit from the sightseeing of the Abbey which welcome 50 000 persons a year. Its cheese, its shop and its visit trail opened for 4 handicaps and the CERCCIS (European center for the influence of Cistercian culture).