Eglise Saint Martin - Arcenant
Heritage from Arcenant
This church has been built on a place called « Le Moustier », word often used since IVth century, period where Saint Martin evangelized. About 1300, the duchess Agnès de Vergy, wife of Robert II of Burgundy, who lived in Arcenant priory transported from chuch of Saint Vivant to this one of Arcenant a black Virgin brought from Crusades. The religious of Saint Vivant ; communicity linked with Cluny in 1095 ; were owners of this church until French Revolution and their Main Prior was also Lord of the vilage. Saint Martin has always been important in Arcenant, and that is certainely why monks installed an equestrian statue of XVth century, called « The Charity of Saint Martin ».
Saint Odon, second abbot of Cluny has been put under the protection of Saint Martin. 16 years old, he decided to devote his life to continue the mission of martin. Ordained priest in 926, he became abbot of Cluny in 927. He organized and developped this new abbey (created in 910) and has a large importance in the spreading of this new order.
Minimum / maximum rates in Euros (subject to changes)